Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My Reflection

This past week we have been learning about infection, infectious diseases, and epidemiology.  We've discussed the symbiotic relationships between microbes and their hosts, how normal microbiota become opportunistic pathogens, and even different portals of entry in which pathogens enter the body.  This information is particularly relevant in my future career goals because I plan on becoming a nurse.   Knowing how infections are spread and their effects on the body is important to know to better care for my patients in the future.  This semester I am learning information that helps me understand Nutrition.  In nutrition we learn about different enzymes, foods, and processes that affect the human body for either better or worse. Having a good understanding in microbiology helps me significantly because then I am hearing the information twice by having nutrition class and I'm remembering the information a lot more efficiently.  


In terms of my engagement in the learning process, I would have to say I am a visual learning.  I retain more information when I can either see diagrams, maps, or even videos of the same information we learn in class.  I like using different color highlighters in my textbook to mark important points to remember it better.  I actually would be open to learning using different styles because at the end of the day, I know how I can learn efficiently.  So if a different mode doesn't work for me I can always go back to what I've been doing before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment